Tuesday, August 14, 2012

~Summer Waldorf Salad~

It's been so hot in San Diego, I thought a Waldorf Salad would be an easy recipe.
 We have fresh apples from the garden that I used for the salad.
I love my Portmeirion Bowl, The Botanic Garden circa 1818 collection. It has such a pretty pattern with the flowers and bumblebee in the center. Perfect for the Waldorf Salad.
I found this recipe from Food Network
 by Suki Hetz

Ingredients

Salad:

  • 1 medium apple, unpeeled, chopped
  • Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 cups diced cooked chicken (about 1 large breast)
  • 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

Dressing:

  • 3/4 cup yogurt (preferably Greek non-fat)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • Juice of 1/2 orange (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Serving suggestion: Baby greens, extra grapes, raisins and walnuts for garnish
Coat the chopped apple with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the chicken, grapes, celery, raisins and walnuts, and gently combine.
In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice and salt. Gently fold the dressing into the salad. Serve on a bed of greens.




Lemons from the garden.
A pitcher of iced lemon water.
A beautiful lunch for a hot summer brunch!
A little rabbit surprised us by stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely and refreshing for a hot summer night! You have the same dishes as my Mom. LOVE those!!!
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your meal !! love Ria...xxx.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a wonderful salad and it looks delicious! What a nice setting to eat it too!
    Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog! i am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that fresh produce right from your garden must be heaven! Your salad looks delicious. Even Peter Rabbit wants a taste. :@

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is doing so well. I would love to have these things fresh from my own garden. The salad looks great and we love having salads in the summer. I never see anyone make their own lemon water. We do this instead of buying many cold drinks. I love making it.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems yummy :P
    I'll be happy if you check out my blog too=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds so delish Jody. Now I'm craving it and the craving won't go away until I give in and make it : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...